Combined Cycle (HRSG) Power Plants
Sheppard T. Powell Associates, LLC (STPA) has provided independent consulting services since 1921 and laboratory services since 1970 to power plants and cogeneration facilities with heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs). At some point, STPA has been involved in virtually every aspect of the following topics.
- Failures of Steam and Water System Components
Since the advent of the combined cycle plants using Heat Recovery Steam Generators (HRSGs), STPA has applied its experience with conventional power plants to combined cycle plants. STPA offers an independent perspective on the following topics.
- Makeup water treatment.
- Condensate and feedwater treatment.
- Evaporator and boiler water treatment.
- Steam purity.
- Steam/water cycle chemistry sampling and online monitoring systems and laboratory testing.
- Corrosion monitoring and control.
- Chemical feed systems.
- Cooling water treatment (towers, evaporative coolers, glycol and closed cooling).
- Preoperational flushes and chemical cleanings.
- HRSG deposition assessments.
- Operational chemical cleanings.
- Metallurgical, failure and remaining life analyses of power plant equipment.
- Assist with damage assessments and HRSG tube failure (HTF) prevention programs including recommending nondestructive testing.
- Layup of power plant equipment and corrosion and corrosion product transport control for cycling service.
STPA’s experience technical team has provided services to assist Clients in the above areas, such as the following:
- Analyze water, deposit, corrosion product, tube and tube deposit samples in our laboratory.
- Determine the need for chemical cleaning and perform tube cleaning simulations.
- Design, engineer and assist in chemical cleaning projects.
- Evaluate equipment and system design and specifications for new facilities.
- Write specification(s) to procure system(s) and/or equipment for new or existing facilities.
- Provide assistance for commissioning new or replacement equipment and/or systems.
- Troubleshoot and help resolve operational and/or chemistry issues in existing facilities.
- Develop chemistry guidelines and response procedures.
- Develop and present training seminars.
- Audit and consult on existing treatment, monitoring and control practices.
- Perform waterside inspections of steam generation equipment as part of an assessment of the success of the water treatment program in controlling corrosion and deposition.
- Perform or participate in root cause investigations.
STPA has been commissioned by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to develop guidelines for Combined Cycle Power Plants and has been active in ASME committees developing consensus documents for these facilities.
STPA enjoys a referee status in the assessment and resolution of disputes involving end-users, equipment manufacturers, chemical vendors and architect/engineering firms – earned by strictly avoiding conflict of interest. Our position of independence and objectivity in the provision of consulting and laboratory services in the areas of chemistry, cleaning, corrosion and water treatment is widely known and respected throughout the power industry.
Please make us your resource for chemistry consulting, laboratory services, chemical cleaning evaluation, commissioning and operational services, and water and metallurgical analyses.