Conventional Power Plants (Drum, Benson, Supercritical)
Sheppard T. Powell Associates, LLC (STPA) has provided independent consulting services since 1921 & laboratory services since 1970 to the power and other steam and power industries. At some point STPA has been involved in virtually every aspect of power plants related to
- Failures of Steam & Water System Components
Throughout this history STPA has provided services for these conventional boiler plants. STPA offers an independent perspective on the following topics.
- Makeup water treatment
- Condensate and feedwater treatment
- Boiler water treatment
- Steam purity
- Steam/water cycle chemistry sampling & online monitoring systems & laboratory testing
- Corrosion monitoring & control
- Chemical feed systems
- Cooling water treatment (once through, towers, evaporative coolers, glycol and closed cooling)
- Preoperational flushes and chemical cleanings
- Boiler deposition assessments
- Operational chemical cleanings
- Metallurgical, failure & remaining life analyses of power plant equipment
- Assist with damage assessments & boiler tube failure (BTF) prevention programs including recommending nondestructive testing
Layup of power plant equipment and corrosion and corrosion product transport control for cycling service
STPA’s experience technical team has provided services to assist Clients in the above areas, such as:
- Analyze water, deposit, corrosion product, tube & tube deposit samples in our Laboratory
- Determine the need for chemical cleaning and perform tube cleaning simulations
- Design, engineer and assist in chemical cleaning projects
- Evaluate equipment & system design & specifications for new facilities
- Write specification(s) to procure system(s) and/or equipment for new or existing facilities
- Evaluate bids received from the issuance of specifications
- Provide assistance for commissioning new or replacement equipment and systems
- Troubleshoot and help resolve operational or chemistry issues in existing facilities
- Develop chemistry guidelines and response procedures and present training seminars
- Audit and Consult on existing treatment, monitoring and control practices
- Perform water side inspections of steam generation equipment as part of an assessment of the success of the water treatment program in controlling corrosion and deposition
- Perform or participate in root cause investigations
STPA has been commissioned by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to develop a number of guidelines for Power Plants. STPA also has been active in ASME committees developing consensus documents for boilers and steam/water cycles.
Some of our STPA consultants also have been part of teams investigating other power plant problems such as bottom ash scaling and corrosion, makeup to air quality control (AQC) systems, fireside corrosion control, condensate filtration, condensate polishing, etc.
Sheppard T. Powell Associates, LLC enjoys a referee status in the assessment and resolution of disputes involving end-users, equipment manufacturers, chemical vendors and architect/engineering firms – earned by strictly avoiding conflict of interest. Our position of independence and objectivity in the provision of consulting and laboratory services in the areas of chemistry, cleaning, corrosion and water treatment is widely known and respected throughout the power industry.
Please make us your resource for chemistry consulting, laboratory services, chemical cleaning evaluation, commissioning and operational services and water & metallurgical analyses.