Pulp & Paper Mills & Recovery & Power Boilers
Sheppard T. Powell Associates, LLC (STPA) has provided consulting services to a variety of pulp and paper mills – including facilities producing bleached and unbleached pulp, fine paper, consumer products, and newsprint. We have provided consulting services to facilities with boilers from 400 to 1800 psig and varying types of boilers – including kraft black liquor recovery boilers, red liquor boilers, and power boilers burning bark, sawdust, gas, oil, and coal. Biomass boiler experience includes both grate fired and fluidized bed boilers. Services to this industry include:
- Boiler water treatment. Some consultants are routinely involved in boiler water treatment reviews at pulp and paper mills. Current representatives from STPA have taught the recovery boiler water treatment portion of the TAPPI Kraft Recovery Short Course since 1994.
- Steam purity monitoring and control. STPA has been involved in routine monitoring, upgrading monitoring systems and carryover studies.
- Steam/water cycle chemistry, deposition and corrosion. STPA is involved in audits of chemistry sampling, online monitoring systems, laboratory testing, chemistry programs, chemistry limit compliance, troubleshooting and training
- Water side inspections of steam generation equipment and deaerators as part of an assessment of the success of the water treatment program in controlling corrosion and deposition
- Chemical feed systems and feedwater and boiler water treatment
- Makeup water treatment selection, evaluation, troubleshooting and training
- Condensate filtration and polishing
- Tube sample selection, deposit weight and composition analyses, determining the need to clean, failure analyses and other metallurgical evaluations.
- Waterwall, generating bank, screen tube, roof tube and floor tube tube failure investigations for a variety of mechanisms (e.g., overheating, creep, underdeposit corrosion, near drum corrosion, deposit related fireside corrosion, etc.)
- Economizer tube failure investigations due to pitting and corrosion fatigue cracking
- Evaluations of deposition and corrosion in steam water cycles
- Chemical cleanings planning, specification development, and consulting assistance during chemical cleanings
- Layup of boilers. Including conventional approaches of wet layup, STPA helped to develop a dry layup system for a recovery boiler at one mill
- Mill water treatment and corrosion control evaluation. STPA has been a key part of teams evaluating mill water treatment and corrosion control in pulp and paper mills