Conventional Power Boilers (Drum, Benson, Supercritical)
Sheppard T. Powell Associates, LLC (STPA) has provided independent consulting services since 1921 and laboratory services since 1970 to owners, operators and manufacturers of power boilers in power plants, pulp & paper mills and district heating systems, sugar mills, refineries and other facilities. At some point, STPA has been involved in virtually every aspect of power boilers related to the following.
- Failures of Steam and Water System Components
Throughout its history, STPA has provided services for conventional boiler plants. STPA offers an independent perspective on the following topics.
- Makeup Water Treatment and Water Management
- Condensate and Feedwater Treatment
- Boiler Water Treatment
- Steam Purity
- Steam/water Cycle Chemistry Sampling and Online Monitoring Systems and Laboratory Testing
- Corrosion Monitoring and Control
- Chemical Feed Systems
- Cooling Water Treatment (Once-Through, Towers, Evaporative Coolers, Glycol and Closed Cooling)
- Preoperational Flushes and Chemical Cleanings
- Boiler Deposition Assessments
- Operational Chemical Cleanings
- Metallurgical, Failure and Remaining Life Analyses of Power Plant Equipment
- Assist with Damage Assessments and Boiler Tube Failure (BTF) Prevention Programs – Including Recommending Nondestructive Testing
- Layup of Power Plant Equipment and Corrosion and Corrosion Product Transport Control for Cycling Service
STPA’s experienced technical team has provided services to assist clients in the above areas, such as the following.
- Analyze Water, Deposit, Corrosion Product, Tube and Tube Deposit Samples in our Laboratory
- Determine the Need for Chemical Cleaning and Perform Tube Cleaning Simulations
- Design, Engineer and Assist in Chemical Cleaning Projects
- Evaluate and Develop Makeup Water Treatment Equipment and System Design and Specifications for New Facilities
- Provide Assistance for Commissioning New or Replacement Equipment and Systems
- Troubleshoot and Help Resolve Operational or Chemistry Issues in Existing Facilities
- Develop Chemistry Guidelines and Response Procedures and Present Training Seminars
- Develop and Present Training Seminars
- Audit or Consult on Existing Steam/Water Cycle Treatment, Monitoring and Control Practices
- Perform Waterside Inspections of Steam Generation Equipment as Part of an Assessment of the Success of the Water Treatment Program in Controlling Corrosion and Deposition
- Perform or Participate in Root Cause Investigations
STPA was commissioned by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to develop a number of guidelines for power plants. STPA also has been active in ASME committees developing consensus documents for boilers and steam/water cycles.
Some of our STPA consultants have been part of teams investigating power plant problems such as bottom ash scaling and corrosion, makeup to air quality control (AQC) systems, fireside corrosion control, condensate filtration, condensate polishing, and more.
STPA enjoys a referee status in the assessment and resolution of disputes involving end-users, equipment manufacturers, chemical vendors and architect/engineering firms – earned by strictly avoiding conflict of interest. Our position of independence and objectivity in the provision of consulting and laboratory services in the areas of chemistry, cleaning, corrosion and water treatment is widely known and respected throughout the power industry.
Please make us your resource for chemistry consulting, laboratory services, chemical cleaning evaluation, commissioning and operational services, and water and metallurgical analyses.