Water Analyses (1-2 ppb Detection Limit)
Sheppard T. Powell Associates LLC (STPA) has analyzed over 4000 sets of water samples for our clients. Sample sets can be comprised of two to 30 samples. In recent years, analyses have focused mainly on samples of steam, condensate, feedwater, boiler water, evaporator blowdown, and demineralized makeup from combined cycle and conventional power plants. Most clients are interested primarily in assessing compliance with industry guidelines for chloride, sulfate, sodium, iron, copper, and total organic carbon. However, many clients have found it useful to also test for other parameters either routinely or periodically. Also, STPA has a wide range of analysis capabilities for troubleshooting analyses or periodic analyses of makeup water and cooling water samples. Equipment for water analyses include the following.
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Graphite Furnace
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Flame
- Ion Chromatography
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC) Analyzer (Technically, Nonpurgeable Organic Carbon [NPOC] is a more correct name for this analyzer)
- UV/Vis Spectrophotometer With Flow-Through Cell
- Miscellaneous Electrode Type Analyzers
- Titration Apparatus for Various Titration Procedures
ERA Proficiency Testing
Sheppard T. Powell Associates LLC holds an ERA Certificate for WS-309 analysis of chloride, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate, iron, copper, sodium, magnesium, potassium, manganese, aluminum and silica.